Wednesday 25 June 2008

Pie 'n' Mash Shop

Website: http://www.manze.co.uk
Address: 87 Tower Bridge Road, London, SE1 4TW.

What a treat! Yesterday, being in South East London at around lunch time, I tried again to visit M. Manzes pie and mash shop. Established in 1902 this is the oldest continuously operating pie and mash shop in London.

I arrived at about noon and was glad to see the shop was open. A few people were queuing in front of me so I tried to size-up the shop. It looks very old-fashioned - white and green tiles on the walls and surfaces. There's a long serving counter on the right and a large seating area on the left dotted with people tucking into their hearty food. The pies behind the counter sit on huge baking trays and the mash is in a huge bowl, all ready to be served up.

The orders are phrased as "number of pies" + "number of mash". I ordered a simple "1 vegetarian pie" + "1 mash". The vegetarian pies are unusual so they said it'd take a few minutes. In the mean time I ordered a large sarsaparilla. I sat at the back and looked forward to my food.

The waitresses looked like local women who enjoyed working there. In fact, most of the customers looked like they were proper south Londoners. I felt I stood out a bit - especially after my order of a vegetarian pie. All the real men had ordered "2 pies" + "2 mash". In the end I was glad I didn't have my camera to take photos because I'd have looked even more out of place.

After a tormenting eternity my pie was ready. I went up and hungrily changed my order from "1 mash" to "2 mash and liquor". The waitress put the pie on a plate, used a spoon to smear a mash barricade on the opposite side of the plate and then poured a generous ladle of "liquor" into the centre. The carefully designed food layout ensured the pie and mash held the liquor in without spilling. I paid, raced to the back and tucked in.

Well, what can I say? It was heavenly. When I left I felt full and satisfied. Yum.

Summary: Go there. Eat some pie and mash. Smile. (Try the challenge not to look out-of-place though).

No comments: